Sunday, April 18, 2010

A New Day and a Fresh Start


I actually wrote this yesterday, but didn't get around to posting it until today.


I have been a bloggomaniac for the last two days.  Probably because other than the 8 hours I flew last night, I have spent a lot of time on my own the last two days.  Six hours sitting in the airport yesterday, 5 ½ hours in the back of an airplane today.  And I’m trying not to read.  This week in the “Artist’s Way” the assignment is to stop reading.  The idea is that I will get more accomplished, and spend more time doing other things.  Important things.  Like writing.  This is the one part of the 12 week course (I’m starting week 5 now), that I haven’t followed religiously.  I have tried not to read at home, but it’s hard not to read when you’re killing time at an airport.  People-watching only amuses me for so long, and then it becomes depressing.  I’ve also had a hard time giving up my email, but that’s not really reading.  Is it?

I know I’m not supposed to say this because it’s bad for business, but I love riding in the back of empty airplanes.  I can actually bend over and get something out of my bag without putting my head in my neighbor’s lap.  The only problem is, the airplane is half full and the only person with his seat reclined is the guy in front of me.  I barely wrestled the computer away from the seat back before he crunched it in between the tray table.  I know a lot of you will disagree with me, but I really wish seat backs didn’t recline.  They should at least have a back up signal, like a truck, to give you some sort of warning.  That way you could move your computer, drink, and/or body parts out of the way before the person invaded your personal space.

Enough complaining.  Today is going to be an amazing day and a fresh start for me.  It began at midnight last night, when my Candida diet officially ended.  Yippee!  I’m still not eating wheat, sugar or dairy.  Although that probably sounds pretty restrictive, it’s a whole lot better than what I had been doing.  I celebrated at 12:30 am with some sushi, and I ate the ginger and wasabi.  Actually, it wasn’t much of a celebration.  The only time I cheated the entire 30 days was on day 29, when I ate the same thing.  The sushi was allowed, but I’m not sure about the pickled ginger.  I can’t have vinegar, and I’m not sure what it was pickled with.

I woke up this morning at 6 am and was on the beach by 6:40 for the sunrise.  It was beautiful.  I had wanted to spend more time on the beach, but there were scattered rain showers in the area so I figured I’d head home early.  I managed to make it to the airport for the 8:15 flight.  I’m still amazed how much I managed to accomplish this morning. 

I had planned to have a big, celebratory, back to eating breakfast at the airport.  Unfortunately, I was in Tampa and the choices were pretty meager.  Either Quizno’s or TGIF, and everything had bread, white potatoes, or cheese.  I settled for a overpriced oatmeal from Starbuck’s and my new indulgence - rice cakes, almond butter, and cacoa nibs.  Obviously I brought that from home.  Not quite the feast I had been longing for, but I’ll make up for that tonight.  I’m already salivating over what I’m going to order at the Thai restaurant.

I actually lost 10-15 pounds this month, and the challenge will be to keep it off.  If I actually start working out again I might be able to do it.  All of my clothes are too big, but I haven’t wanted to buy new ones because I’m afraid I’m going to gain the weight right back.  If I keep up with that attitude I probably will.  What I meant to say is, “I will keep the weight off for good”.  Maybe I’ll buy some new clothes when I get home to encourage me. 

I’ve used up all my useful thoughts for the day and I can’t read until tomorrow.  And the guy in front of me is really annoying me with his reclining seat, so it’s time to put the computer away.  Where is my “seat back kicking” four year old when I need him.  Just kidding.  I can’t get mad at someone that pays my bills.  I guess the only thing left to do is catch up on some sleep before we land.  Calm down, I’m in the back of the airplane - remember?  I’m off to dream of sugar plum fairies, Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory, coconut lemongrass soup and spring rolls.  Night night.

No comments:

Post a Comment