Friday, April 9, 2010

Forget Al Queda, It's Monsanto That Should Terrify You

This is a quote from the New York Times from a Monsanto official.


"Monsanto should not have to vouchsafe the safety of biotech food," said Phil Angell, Monsanto's director of corporate communications. "Our interest is in selling as much of it as possible. Assuring its safety is the FDA's job."




Why should that bother you?  Well, only because there are many, many people in the government that make decisions about this that have ties to Monsanto.  Who is Monsanto?  You may not know.  And I will admit that even though I try to eat organic and healthy and do what's best for the environment, I had know idea what a devil in sheep's clothing this company is.  I'm disgusted that I've been giving my son non-organic soy milk to drink.  I think he has a milk allergy, so I've been switching to soy.  I think I'd rather have him have allergies than ingest Roundup.


That's right, Roundup.  You know, the stuff you spray on your garden to kill weeds.  Have you ever watched a weed wither and die after it's been sprayed with Roundup?  Well guess what, Monsanto has genetically modified most corn and soybeans grown in this country to be resistant to Roundup.  What that means is you can spray an entire field with Roundup, and it kills everything but the vegetables.  Now, call me crazy, but I'm a little concerned about the Roundup that's left on the corn and soybeans that I am feeding my family.  


But here's the great part, we're not supposed to worry about this because the FDA is here to protect us.  And Monsanto is not required to make the results of it's limited testing studies public.  They were also granted exemptions for the minimal amount of testing required for two of their three corn varieties.  Due to a lawsuit, non biased research is finally being conducted and has found the possibility of kidney and liver problems, along with negative effects in the heart, adrenal glands and spleen.  "Roundup residues present in one modified corn are much higher than those found to cause toxicity in human embryonic cells and endocrine disruption", says Gilles-Eric Seralini, a researcher.


The Center for Food Safety estimates that more than 70 percent of the processed foods in US grocery stores contain some genetically modified ingredients.  It's time for us to wake up and smell the chemicals.  I urge you to take a look at the website below, and some of the things Monsanto is doing to try to put small farms out of business.  I can't believe we stand for this in this country.  I'll quote Jamie Oliver again and voice my battle cry, it's time for a Food Revolution.


Gov't Officials linked to Monsanto, and lawsuits against small farms


Roundup Kills More Than Weeds



No comments:

Post a Comment