Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What Am I Doing Here?

If you would have told me even a month ago I would be writing a blog, I would have told you you were crazy. I consider my writing skills to be on par with that of about a fifth grader. On top of that, I'm the computer illiterate of the family. My husband will fall off his chair laughing when he finds out I'm doing this. Just today in fact, I had to call him because I couldn't get the dvd to come out of my computer. I know it's in there, but I can't figure out how to eject it. It's his fault actually. He bought me a mac thinking he would spend less time as my personal tech support. Sorry honey, the jokes on you.

So the purpose of this blog is to detail my continuing journey into the realm of alternative health and healing. I'm an airline pilot by trade, and yes there is a certain irony that computers don't like me, given my profession. It's only ground based computers I have problems with though, the ones in the airplane actually like me.

About a year ago I started taking Reiki classes. The best way I can describe Reiki is that it's a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation. It is done on a massage table or chair, and the practitioner uses different hand positions over the body. The recipient feels relaxed, sometimes tingly, and their body will begin to promote healing from within. I'll describe more about Reiki in a later blog.

I have since gone on to become a Reiki Master, and along this journey I have been exposed to many different "alternative" health practices. It still makes me laugh to think that non invasive things like nutrition, acupuncture and herbs are considered alternative. Meanwhile we're all focusing on the reactive part of "dis-ease" and how we can cure our ills, instead of being proactive and not getting the "dis-ease" in the first place.

So this blog will detail my journey from a fact based, logical, type A pilot - to a more spiritual, accepting (even things I can't explain or quite get my mind around), alternative healer. I haven't quite decided what to do about my identity. I don't intend to keep it hidden forever, and if it comes out it's no big deal. I just feel more comfortable writing anonymously for awhile. Many of my friends don't even know this stuff about me, and may not agree with some of it. I can be more candid this way, because some of the things I want to discuss are not things you normally hear pilots discuss. I'm not talking about anything crazy, just things like crystal healing, Native American Shamans, animal signs etc. Well, I guess it depends on your definition of crazy. I guess what I'm saying is that if someone has a big desire to "out" me before I "out" myself, it's no big deal. To be honest, I may not be computer savvy enough to keep it a secret.

So thanks for joining me on this ride. Now this should be interesting. (At least for me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment