Tuesday, August 17, 2010

For the Love of Biscotti

Oh my, what a weekend.  As I sit in a local coffee shop writing this, I am enjoying a biscotti.  Not a sugar free, wheat free, dairy free biscotti mind you.  A full on, delicious, everything I shouldn't be eating biscotti.  That in itself wouldn't be so bad, if it wasn't for the turtle sundae yesterday.  Or the cheesy bread the two previous days, or the six glasses of wine at the riesling festival.  You're beginning to get the picture.  And I haven't even mentioned the reese's peanut butter cup or the martini.

I'm not quite sure what is happening to me, other than maybe I've been abducted by aliens.  Ok, that's a joke.  I have just lost all will power related to food, and I am enjoying eating like a normal person again.  Immensely.  That has got to stop.  Not only do I feel tired and my allergies are cranking again, but I got rid of all my clothes that are now 3 sizes too big.  If I start eating like this again I"ll have to go shopping, and I'd be moving the wrong way on the sizing chart.

Strangely enough, I have had the urge to do "oil pulling" the last few mornings.  I wrote about this a few months ago, but if you missed it or aren't familiar here's a quick description.  Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic technique that supposedly rids the body of toxins.  You swish oil around in your mouth for several minutes a day, and the reported cures are seemingly endless.

Several months ago I was actively trying to do this every day but I kept forgetting.  Something has been making me remember it the last few days.  Maybe my body figures if I can't keep the bad stuff out of my mouth, it will help me try to remove the toxins another way.  I will say that I've had pretty good results.  The other day I woke up and my eyes were all gummy and teary.  After swishing oil for 15 minutes, my eyes cleared up and I had a ton of mucus running down the back of my throat.  Sorry to be graphic here, but if I could learn to spit like a guy I would definitely have been removing toxins from my body.

Now I just have to work on reducing this junk food craving again.  I'm mad at myself because I had been perfectly happy with a cup of tea or piece of fruit after dinner, and now I'm not happy unless I've had sugar.  I guess I need to look at this diet as a lifestyle change instead of an ongoing diet, and then it might be easier.  Or I need to learn to be happy with eye allergies and +20 pounds.  Right now that one sounds like more fun.  HELP!

No comments:

Post a Comment