Thursday, December 30, 2010

Ayurvedic Panchakarma

Today was my second day of Ayurvedic Panchakarma, or as my husband not so affectionately calls it, Poopachaka.  I'd like to say I feel different, but I don't, and I'm trying not to get discouraged.  I know it's helping in some way, I'd just like to see some sort of tangible physical/mental benefit from it.  I have a feeling it's like good nutrition, you don't always notice the benefits, but your body is better off in the long run.  Even so, I'm hoping for a miraculous turn around tomorrow.

It's actually a lie to say I don't feel different.  I'm tired, and I'm hungry all the time.  I think because I'm eating the same thing for three days in a row.  Any time I restrict my diet the cravings start immediately.  I don't think I actually have to eat the Kitchari at every meal, but it is easy to digest and that is the goal for these three days.  Kitchari is a blend of rice, mung beans, ghee, and herbs.  "Ayurveda believes that all healing begins with the digestive tract, and kitchari can give it a much needed rest from constantly processing different foods while providing essential nutrients." (Quoted from eatmoreherbs.com).  It actually tastes pretty good, and is very hearty for a "detox" food.  I'm just tired of eating it.

The goal of panchakarma is to detoxify the body, strengthen the immune system, and restore well being.  I'll be happy with any one of those three things.  Maybe the results don't manifest right away, and it will take a little while to notice a difference.  Or maybe it's already taking effect, and it's just too subtle for me to notice.  I mean, I haven't dropped anything lately, or tripped over my own feet, and I haven't been as absent minded as usual.  I can't say I've been particularly cheery, but I don't know if that's from the panchakarma, the rain, or the other not so cheery people I've been around today.

The panchakarma itself is interesting, and not quite as pampering as I had thought.  After all, three hours of hot oil massage for three days sounds pretty good.  The massage includes a lot of karate chopping, tapping, and rubbing with oil.  Lots of oil.  I can't even wash it out of my hair with shampoo.  My favorite part is the steam tent after the massage.  It's one of the few times all day when I am warm and I love it. My only complaint is that it is over too soon.

The warm oil dripped on my forehead today was particularly relaxing too.  In contrast to yesterday, when it was so hot I thought it might scar me.  I was worried I'd look in the mirror afterwards and have a Harry Potter-esque lightning bolt burned on my forehead.

Reading back over this, I'm realizing that maybe I just have my expectations set too high.  I've been sluggish and unmotivated all month, and I was hoping the panchakarma and the new year would propel me into some sort of forward motion.  Leave the old junk behind, start the new year with a fresh body/spirit/mind.  I think that will still happen, because I'm working on manifesting it right now. But there is no magic poopachaka pill like I hoped there would be.  This will take some effort on my part, no one else can do it for me.  If I don't have some miraculous results tomorrow I'll get through it, and I will probably learn an important lesson about expectations.  But I'm still hoping to send the old year out with a bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment