Friday, July 16, 2010

Whether You Call Them Fairies or Faeries, We're Ready for Tinkerbell

I live in a nice neighborhood.  Even so, we had a small problem with vandalism last summer.  It seems that a small band of children was roaming the neighborhood, leaving things in neighbors gardens that shouldn't be there.  I'm not talking about dog poop or firecrackers though, these kids were much more intelligent than that.  They were leaving faerie gardens.

I have to admit, I consider myself lucky to live in a neighborhood where the only defacing of property is actually quite delightful.   Each morning we would walk out to the garden to see what kind of painted rock or flower people had been left in our yard.  The alleged culprits backyard was even more magical.  Over there they had actual rooms set up for the faeries, with toy furniture and everything.

Some people, and I'm talking about grown ups here, actually believe in things like faeries and elementals.  I find it strange that most kids believe in them, but we spend our time discouraging that kind of thinking.  I must admit I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around that stuff.  Just when I think I believe, the rational side of me rolls it's eyes and says, "Oh, come on."  Maybe I'm just worried people would think I've gone round the bend for even talking about faeries.  I'm actually muttering something along those lines to myself as I write this.  Even so, my son and I spent a wonderful morning making a faerie house.  We used bits of shiny things, made flowers out of pipe cleaners and tongue depressors, and even made a sign that said Welcome Faeries.

The way I look at it, this is a win-win situation for me.  If there are faeries, we just gave them a nice home, and hopefully gained some help keeping the bugs and disease at bay in my garden.  At this point I'll take all the help I can get.  And if they don't exist, I just wasted the day spending some quality time in make believe with my son.  Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment