Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter

So this is another cop-out, non-original post.  A friend of mine pointed out that if I intended to write every day, there would inevitably be some less than stellar entries.  Maybe instead of making things up on the bad days (or on the too tired days, like today), I'll just write quotes.


I have received the following in several emails.  Again, I question the authenticity because sometimes it's a father, sometimes it's a mother.  But even if it's not true, it's still a very good sentiment.  I wish you all enough.


Here it is - 


Recently   I overheard a Father and daughter in their last moments together  at the airport. They had  announced the departure.

Standing  near the security gate, they hugged and the   Father said, 'I love you, and I wish you  enough.'

The daughter replied,  'Dad, our life together has been  more than  enough. Your love is all I ever needed. I wish   you enough, too, Dad.' 
  
They   kissed and the daughter left.



The Father walked  over  to the window where I was seated.  Standing  there I could see he  wanted and needed to cry. I  tried not to intrude on his privacy,  but he  welcomed me in by asking, 'Did you ever say   good-bye to someone knowing it would be  forever?'  

'Yes, I have,' I replied.  'Forgive me for asking, but  why is this a forever good-bye?'.

'I am old, and she   lives so far away. I have challenges ahead and  the reality  is - the next trip back will be for my funeral,' he said.

'When you  were saying good-bye, I heard you say, 'I wish   you enough.' May I ask what that  means?'

He began  to smile. 'That's a wish  that has been handed down from other  generations. My parents used to say it to  everyone.'   He  paused a moment and looked up as  if trying to remember it in  detail, and he  smiled even more. 'When we said, 'I wish you   enough,' we were wanting the other person to  have a life  filled with just enough good things  to sustain them.' Then  turning toward me, he  shared the following as if he were  reciting it  from memory.

I wish you enough sun  to  keep your attitude bright no matter how grey  the day may  appear.



I   wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun even  more.

I wish you enough happiness  to keep your spirit alive  and  everlasting.

I wish you enough pain  so that  even the smallest of joys in life may  appear bigger.

I  wish you enough  gain to satisfy your wanting. 


I wish   you enough loss to appreciate all that you  possess.

I wish you enough hellos  to get you through the final  good-  bye. 



He   then began to cry and walked  away.

They say it  takes a minute to  find a special person, an hour to appreciate  them, a day to love them; but then an entire  life to  forget them. 





No comments:

Post a Comment