Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Giving Thanks to the Turkeys

I live in a neighborhood that is over one hundred years old and less than 4 miles from the city.  It is certainly not the type of neighborhood where you would expect to see wildlife.  For the past week, my companions on my morning walk have alternated between a herd of deer and a flock of turkey.   I never gave my encounters with animals a second thought until I discovered Ted Andrews book "Animal Speak".  The book suggests that when we see an animal, especially multiple times, that it is not just a coincidence but a symbol.  Each time I see an animal in an unusual situation I head for the book and check out the meaning.  Here is the explanation for deer -

"When deer show up in your life it is time to be gentle with yourself and others.  A new innocence and freshness is about to be awakened or born.  There is going to be a gentle, enticing lure of new adventures.... When deer show up there is an opportunity to express gentle love that will open new doors to adventure for you."

The turkey is sometimes known as the earth eagle and symbolizes a year of harvest.  The male turkeys have been putting on quite a show in the morning, tail feathers perfectly fanned out behind them, bright red wattles inflated.  The wattle is very symbolic in itself, "linked to the ancient idea of the third eye, the inner vision often associated with the pituitary gland in more traditional metaphysics.  The brow center or third eye is the center for higher vision, and is often considered the seat of the feminine energies within each of us.  This reflects its tie to the Mother Earth and all of its feminine energies and possibilities."

Some people would say that the flock of turkey live in my neighborhood, so therefore it is not unusual that I see them every morning.  I could agree with that line of thinking.  What I can't explain is why less than a mile from downtown a lone turkey walked across the road and stopped in front of my car.  And that was the second sighting I experienced outside of my neighborhood this week.

Are the deer and turkey trying to tell me something?  I can't say for sure, but I do know that the last week has been filled with opportunity and awakening and great possibility.  A year of harvest is upon me.  And for that I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment